Usually, around this time of year, I want to build a new theme for my blog, but I still like the current one I have so I just decided to make small incremental changes. I’ve had some things on my mind for a while so now I just implemented some of those:
- Make the container width a bit bigger – we all have wider displays and bigger resolutions.
- Make the reading/content area smaller – solved it by the next bullet
- Add a sidebar to content pages. I can now use widgets to add extra content to the blog.
- Make the top main menu more minor/have fewer items. Solved this by making a custom widget with another menu on the newly added sidebar.
- Replace in-code color names with predefined colors like primary and secondary. Every time I wanted to change the color on the site, I had to change the HTML code for that. Not anymore, I now change only the config of Tailwind and the colors throughout the site change.
- Make it snow for the winter season.
- Change colors to have the Christmas 2022 edition, temporary until next year.
Because my theme for WordPress is actually a Laravel app, it was very simple to make the incremental changes, you can actually view the diff.
With the changes on classic social network sites, I think having a personal site or blog is more important again and back in fashion.
Not a lot of people might read my blog, but writing is a good exercise for me and I am basically keeping a personal journal that is also public. Also coding the blog theme is good to switch contexts from work where I do mainly React these days.
Hope you like my changes for this year, now I want to be more active on my blog (both English and Romanian parts) because… the content you own is the best one. Never trust social media sites.